Saturday, November 7, 2015

This CPA Not Rooting For AICPA In Its IRS Lawsuit

So this weeks aggravation is that the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) is wasting my dues money again. The DC Circuit has breathed life into a pointless lawsuit against the IRS that was dismissed last year. The case really pains me, because my natural team spirit makes me want to root for the AICPA . As Edmund Burke wrote:
To be attached to the subdivision, to love the little platoon we belong to in society, is the first principle (the germ as it were) of public affections. It is the first link in the series by which we proceed towards a love to our country, and to mankind.
The lawsuit is about a program that the IRS started. Everybody who prepares tax returns for compensation is supposed to have a PTIN. Back in the day a PTIN was optional. The alternative was to put your social security number in the paid preparer section of the return. Being reckless, irresponsible and lazy, I took the latter course, reasoning (or rationalizing) that anybody who stumbled on a return that I had signed as preparer would be more interested in stealing my clients identity than mine. Now you need a PTIN regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment